WestportMoms group hosts antiviolence summitPosted: Updated:
Concerned Westport residents met to discuss ways to prevent gun violence in the wake of a school massacre in Parkland, Florida, and what officials are calling a "near miss" at Staples High School.
More than 150 people, most of them Westport mothers, packed the Unitarian Church for a community discussion and a panel of experts. The group WestportMoms organized the event, called "Make it Stop."
"It's about changing the way we think about guns," says Selectman Melissa Kane, who moderated the panel. "It's about changing access to guns. It's about changing the way we think about and implement care for mental illnesses in this country."
Community members in attendance say that even making a small difference is worth it.
Among the panelists was Mark Barden, whose son Daniel was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting five years ago. He co-founded Sandy Hook Promise, which works to teach people how to identify the warning signs before something happens.
"I would give anything to turn the clock back and make Newtown a near miss," Barden says.
Other groups including Connecticut Against Gun Violence, the Newtown Action Alliance and the newly formed Westport chapter of Moms Demand Action also addressed the crowd. Organizers say they hope to mobilize the community's passion into advocacy and change.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim has ordered all essential businesses to close by 8 p.m. as a way to decrease the amount of people gathering at them.Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim has ordered all essential businesses to close by 8 p.m. as a way to decrease the amount of people gathering at them.
- The Q Bridge in New Haven was lit up in red lights to honor the thousands of Connecticut health care workers on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- You or a family member are sick, need to see a doctor, but are under stay-at-home orders. A virtual doctor visit can help!
- Semana crucial en el área triestatal; gobernadores piden no bajar la guardia.Semana crucial en el área triestatal; gobernadores piden no bajar la guardia.
- An early morning fire destroyed an Easton home on Tuesday, officials say.An early morning fire destroyed an Easton home on Tuesday, officials say.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- The 1,000-bed hospital ship will help ease the burden on local hospitals amid the coronavirus outbreak.