McGregor turns self into police after backstage melee

Posted: Updated:
BROOKYLN -

UFC star Conor McGregor has turned himself into police in the wake of a backstage melee he instigated that has forced the removal of three fights off UFC's biggest card of the year.

Video footage appears to show the promotion's most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters , after a press conference for UFC 223 at Barclays Center.

McGregor was being processed and no charges had been filed as of Thursday night.

Video showed McGregor with a group of people causing chaos Thursday as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade at a bus during his unannounced appearance in New York.

The New York Police Department said McGregor threw a hand truck at a bus causing minor injury to an individual on the bus. UFC said three fights on Saturday's UFC 223 card have been scrapped as a result of the incident.

"The organization deems today's disruption completely unacceptable and is currently working on the consequences that will follow," UFC said in a statement. "Individuals involved in the incident are not welcome at tomorrow's ceremonial weigh-in or Saturday's event at Barclays Center."

McGregor hasn't fought for UFC since November 2016 and was stripped this week by UFC President Dana White of the 155-pound championship he had never defended. White also said this week he did not expect McGregor to attend Saturday's fights.

He sure made his presence felt in Brooklyn.

McGregor profanely responded on Twitter and wrote, "You'll strip me of nothing." He was just getting started.

McGregor last fought at all in a boxing match he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Aug. 26, 2017.

The popular Irishman is tight with UFC 223 fighter Artem Lobov, who was involved this week in a scuffle in a hotel with Khabib Nurmagomedov. Nurmagomedov fights Max Holloway for the lightweight championship left vacant by McGregor.

Lobov was yanked from the card and banned from the building.

Michael Chiesa was sent to the hospital with injuries sustained in the attack and was forced out of his scheduled fight against Anthony Pettis.

"A decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223," Chiesa tweeted. "I'm devastated to say the least. @showtimepettis I hope to run this match up ASAP. June 9th in your backyard. That's all I have to say for now. Much love."

Flyweight Ray Borg suffered multiple cornea abrasions in the wake of the McGregor attack and his fight against Brandon Moreno was also scratched

White said this week in New York that McGregor would fight again for UFC this year. McGregor's actions now put any future fights very much in doubt.

The 29-year-old McGregor once held the 145 and 155-pound championships at the same time and boldly stated he wanted an ownership stake in UFC. But the trash-talking, egocentric has been out of the fight game except for his boxing dalliance with Mayweather that made him wealthy enough to never have to fight again. McGregor and his girlfriend welcomed their first child, a son, in May 2017.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Connecticut SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Tasty Tuesday Photos

    Tasty Tuesday Photos

    Granola Bar in Fairfield brings a gourmet flair to breakfast and lunch in Fairfield.Granola Bar in Fairfield brings a gourmet flair to breakfast and lunch in Fairfield.

    Check out these photos from our Tasty Tuesday series.

    Check out these photos from our Tasty Tuesday series.

  • Your 2018 Connecticut Fall Fun Photos

    Your 2018 Connecticut Fall Fun Photos

    Wednesday, September 5 2018 2:08 PM EDT2018-09-05 18:08:16 GMT
    Send us your Fall Fun Pics!Send us your Fall Fun Pics!
    Send us your Fall Fun Pics!Send us your Fall Fun Pics!

    Is fall your favorite season? Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Connecticut want to see your Fall Fun pics! Send them via Twitter or Instagram with the #CTFallFun and they might end up on air or on News12.com.

    Is fall your favorite season? Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Connecticut want to see your Fall Fun pics! Send them via Twitter or Instagram with the #CTFallFun and they might end up on air or on News12.com.

  • Halloween costumes for children in 2018

    Halloween costumes for children in 2018

    Tuesday, October 2 2018 8:40 AM EDT2018-10-02 12:40:46 GMT
    Whether your kids are into "Fortnite," or "The Incredibles," News 12 has the most popular Halloween children's costumes for 2018.Whether your kids are into "Fortnite," or "The Incredibles," News 12 has the most popular Halloween children's costumes for 2018.
    Whether your kids are into "Fortnite," or "The Incredibles," News 12 has the most popular Halloween children's costumes for 2018.Whether your kids are into "Fortnite," or "The Incredibles," News 12 has the most popular Halloween children's costumes for 2018.

    Whether your kids are into "Fortnite," or "The Incredibles," News 12 has the most popular Halloween children's costumes for 2018.

    Whether your kids are into "Fortnite," or "The Incredibles," News 12 has the most popular Halloween children's costumes for 2018.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."