Fairfield farm stand catches fire; man hurt trying to free chickens

Posted: Updated:
FAIRFIELD -

A man was injured and hundreds of chickens were killed Tuesday when a farm stand caught fire, police say.

The fire started inside the farm stand on Mine Hill Road just before 5 a.m.

Officials say the farm stand housed between 600 and 700 live chickens and farming equipment.

Firefighters say it took about 30 minutes to get the fire fully under control, with propane and fuel tanks stored inside complicating the way it would be handled.

Fire officials say the owner suffered minor injuries while attempting to free some of the chickens from the coop inside the farm stand.

The residents of the home made it out safely. A man was rescued by firefighters inside the caretaker home, which was also exposed to the fire.

The owners of the farm estimate they lost between 500 and 600 chickens. 

The homeowner told News 12 Connecticut that her family, including two young children, are shaken by the loss.

She also says the family will have to let clients know they'll need some time to recover and rebuild their egg selling business.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."