Family of paralyzed Norwalk lacrosse coach says he is ‘determined to walk again’Posted: Updated:
Family, friends and community members are showing support for 24-year-old Ty Guarente, a lacrosse coach at Brien McMahon High School who was in a serious car accident Monday that left him paralyzed.
Family of Guarente say he was driving on Route 8 Monday afternoon in Bridgeport when he tried to switch lanes. They say there was an oncoming vehicle in the lane, which caused Guarente to swerve back, losing control of the wheel in the pouring rain. His car flipped four times and first responders had to cut him out of the vehicle with the Jaws of Life.
Guarente is now at St. Vincent Medical Center with broken ribs, a lacerated spleen and spinal fractures.
Friends and family visiting Guarente in the hospital say although he can't feel anything from the waist down, he remains upbeat and is determined to walk again.
Loved ones say whatever he puts his mind to he does. Right now that's walking again, even if doctors say that's doubtful.
"He's a fighter," says Ivan Mattson, Guarente's friend. "He's doing great. It's a long road, but he's gonna make it back."
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say two people are injured following a shooting in Bridgeport Friday.Police say two people are injured following a shooting in Bridgeport Friday.
State health officials say two Connecticut residents have been hospitalized with severe respiratory symptoms they believe are linked to vaping and e-cigarette use.
- According to Bloomberg, three new iPhones are expected next month, including a 'pro' model with a brand new camera system.
- This week's workout comes from Donna at Lifetime Athletic Club. News 12's Elizabeth Hashagen learns some moves that incorporate strength training and yoga.
- In honor of the first U.S. patent for a waffle iron on August 24, 1869 - today we celebrate National Waffle Day!
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary
- Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band performed at Long Island Community Hospital Amphitheater in Farmingville.
- The three-day festival of love and music featured some of the biggest musical names from the summer of love, including Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin and The Who.
- Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.Storm photos in July from around the tri-state area.