Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
PSEG officially opens natural gas power plant in BridgeportPosted: Updated:
PSEG officially unveiled its new natural gas power plant in Bridgeport Monday, replacing the state's last coal-fired plant.
PSEG officials, Gov. Ned Lamont and Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim flipped the switch on the new plant. It took two years and 700 union workers to build it.
The head of PSEG says the change will mean a huge improvement in air quality.
"It's tenfold, if not more, on a long-term basis," says PSEG Power COO Ralph LaRossa. "This is the right -- from a bridging standpoint for us -- it's the right thing to do, to move on to a renewable economy."
The old coal-fired plant will stay online until 2021, but only as a backup. After that, Ganim says he hopes to redevelop it as waterfront property.
Technology in the new plant means it only needs a few dozen workers to operate it versus the old one, which required hundreds.
Now the question looms: Should Bridgeport's old candy cane smoke stack remain? Keeping it could hurt Sikorsky Airport's chances of bringing back passenger service because it needs a longer runway.
"There's the aesthetic value of it," says Ganim. "There are some people who say, 'Oh my God, that stack is an icon -- is a landmark if you will.'"
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- The parents of a Bridgeport woman suffering from multiple sclerosis and dementia say their daughter is unable to get the specialized health care she needs.The parents of a Bridgeport woman suffering from multiple sclerosis and dementia say their daughter is unable to get the specialized health care she needs.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- It's National Reptile Awareness Day - a day to celebrate our cold-blooded animal friends.It's National Reptile Awareness Day - a day to celebrate our cold-blooded animal friends.
- A veteran Norwalk police officer accused of fleeing the scene of a drunk driving crash has been suspended for five days.A veteran Norwalk police officer accused of fleeing the scene of a drunk driving crash has been suspended for five days.
- A plumbing problem in a public housing complex in Bridgeport led to flooding in dozens of apartments.A plumbing problem in a public housing complex in Bridgeport led to flooding in dozens of apartments.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Connecticut wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedCT.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the state for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!