Rescuers use diamond cutter to free child's finger caught in seat belt

Posted: Updated:

A child who had his finger stuck in a school bus seat belt needed the help of multiple EMS workers to get it free at the Danbury Hospital emergency room Friday night.

According to a press release provided by the Danbury Fire Department, the 5-year-old boy was met at the hospital by New Fairfield Fire and EMS units and the Danbury Fire Department. They made several attempts to remove the buckle by using oil and ice. A standard ring cutting tool to remove the buckle was also unsuccessful.

According to the release, the crews had to act fast and informed the child and his father that the buckle would have to be removed with a Demel tool using a high-speed diamond cutter.

One firefighter worked the tool while another held and protected the finger with a safety guard. Additional firefighters sprayed a constant supply for water on the cutter and the buckle to keep the metal from overheating.

The procedure took about 15 minutes to complete, but the seat belt was removed without injury.

The fire department says the patient planned to keep the buckle and was invited to tour the fire house.

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."