Judge postpones asylum ruling for New Haven teen student detained by ICEPosted: Updated:
An immigration judge in Boston has postponed an asylum ruling for a New Haven teen who was detained by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
A family spokesperson confirmed that a decision for Mario Aguilar will not come today, as expected. A spokesperson for Aguilar says the immigration judge had “technical questions” about Aguilar’s case, and declined to give a new date for a ruling.
It’s unclear when a ruling will be issued.
Aguilar, who is a junior at Wilbur Cross High School in New Haven, hasn't been in class since he was detained Sept. 10.
"Mario came to court here for a motor vehicle infraction, and even before he got inside, and even before he went to see a judge, he was picked up by ICE," said Eric Cruz Lopez, of CT Students for a Dream.
Teachers and students protested for the teen's release outside the Milford courthouse earlier this week.
Advocates of Aguilar say the 18-year-old fled death threats and gang violence in Guatemala in 2016 to live with an uncle in New Haven.
Classmates are tentatively planning another rally at the steps of New Haven City Hall on Dec. 23, two days before Christmas.