Connecticut gyms ramp up extra precaution against coronavirusPosted: Updated:
Gyms across western Connecticut are using extra precaution when it comes to preventing the spread of the coronavirus.
Owners at Orange Theory in Norwalk say they haven't seen a drop in the amount of clients joining their classes, but they have added some extra precautions.
Owner Mark Molina says he's moved workout machines further apart to prevent members from sweating on each other.
Coronavirus Prevention: What you can do to protect yourself
GET INFORMATION: Coronavirus details from the CDC
He says he has added more sanitary wipes to the gym area and although trainers encourage customers to work out hard during class, Molina says they have stopped giving high-fives as a way to stop the potential spread of COVID-19.
"We really prioritize cleanliness, and we always have. But we're extra focused on it now. If you start to feel sick, play it safe," Molina says.
Joe Oppedisano, the owner of Fit Club in Fairfield, says they usually clean the gym two to three times a day. Now, he says they are doubling that and making sure all the equipment is wiped down after it's used.
Oppedisano says there has not been a decrease of members coming in to use the gym. Oppedisano encourages people to stay home if they are sick.
PHOTOS: The impact of coronavirus around the world
Watch News 12 each night this week from 7-7:30 p.m. for a call-in show to answer any of your questions concerning the coronavirus outbreak. Then head to our News 12 Connecticut Facebook page at 7:30 p.m. for a Facebook Live discussion.
- If you are experiencing symptoms or think you may have been exposed to coronaivurs, here is a list of coronavirus testing sites in the tri-state area.If you are experiencing symptoms or think you may have been exposed to coronaivurs, here is a list of coronavirus testing sites in the tri-state area.
- From all the regions at News 12 – Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Bronx, Brooklyn and the Hudson Valley – we want to assure you, we’re all in this together.From all the regions at News 12 – Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut, Bronx, Brooklyn and the Hudson Valley – we want to assure you, we’re all in this together.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
Connecticut Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Small businesses are waiting days to apply for federal help and some are not sure how much longer they can hold on for.
- Catholic churches throughout Connecticut are empty as priests celebrate the most solemn part of Holy Week without worshipers present.
- Access Independence in Stratford has been churning out thousands of protective visors and respirator parts with 3D printers.
- President Donald Trump called the testing operation in the U.S. “by far the most sophisticated and the best anywhere.”
- Breweries all over the world are raising a glass of their new All Together IPA to struggling hospitality workers.
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!