Bridgeport police arrest 2nd suspect in 2019 deadly beating inside grocery store

Luis Hernandez, 44, of Waterbury, is charged with first-degree manslaughter and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault for his alleged role in the death of Miguel Lopez in May 2019.

Marissa Alter

Jan 5, 2023, 11:15 PM

Updated 527 days ago

Share:

Bridgeport police made a second arrest in a deadly beating inside a grocery store nearly four years ago. Luis Hernandez, 44, of Waterbury, is charged with first-degree manslaughter and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault for his alleged role in the death of Miguel Lopez in May 2019. Hernandez was arraigned in Bridgeport Superior Court Thursday afternoon where the judge kept his bond at $1 million.
On the night in question, surveillance footage captured three men chasing Lopez, 55, down Noble Avenue into Mambo Grocery. The prosecutor told the judge the three “did hold him down and beat him with a pole, including stomping on his head, and he did ultimately succumb to his injuries." The judge set bond at $1 million dollars, citing the seriousness of the allegations.
Police previously said the motive may have been money that the victim owed the suspects. They made the first arrest in the case back in September 2019. Jose Martinez was charged with manslaughter and pleaded not guilty. Martinez’s trial is currently underway. Joseph Corradino, the state’s attorney for the Fairfield Judicial District, told News 12 the timing of Hernandez's arrest is in no way related to that trial. Corradino could not comment because this is an ongoing case.
Hernandez had multiple family members at court who were visibly upset. One told News 12, “This is a mistake. He is not that type of person. They got the wrong person.”
News 12 was unable to get the warrant for Hernandez on Thursday, so it's unclear what led to him being taken into custody now.


More from News 12