Case against man charged in connection to Jennifer Dulos case moves closer to trial

A virtual hearing Tuesday was the first proceeding in eight months for Mawhinney, who is accused of conspiring with his friend and former client, Fotis Dulos, to kill Dulos' estranged wife Jennifer Dulos in May 2019.

News 12 Staff

Jan 19, 2022, 12:24 AM

Updated 918 days ago

Share:

The case against Kent Mawhinney, the man charged in connection to the disappearance and death of Jennifer Dulos, is now one step closer to trial.
A virtual hearing Tuesday was the first proceeding in eight months for Mawhinney, who is accused of conspiring with his friend and former client, Fotis Dulos, to kill Dulos' estranged wife Jennifer Dulos in May 2019.
There is no other hearing scheduled right now after Judge John Blawie moved the case from the docket Tuesday.
"I'm going to put the case on the trial list. It will not have a date certain," Blawie said.
The judge said as Mawhinney waits, hearings will only be necessary if new motions are filed or issues come up.
Mawhinney has been required to wear a GPS ankle monitor since his release in October 2020. It came after his $2 million bond was reduced to $246,000 following a meeting between Mawhinney and investigators.
Since then, the court has granted multiple requests for Mawhinney to travel outside the state for family business, including one for this week.
Mawhinney was arrested by state police in January 2020, along with Fotis Dulos and Dulos' former girlfriend Michelle Troconis. Fotis Dulos killed himself later that month, leaving Troconis and Mawhinney the remaining defendants in the Jennifer Dulos case.
Last year, the state said it was likely Mawhinney would testify against Troconis at her trial.
She has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, evidence tampering and hindering prosecution.
Troconis is scheduled to be in court next on Feb. 15.


More from News 12