Chef's Quick Tip: Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Spare Ribs
News 12's Tina Redwine is joined by Chef Jeanette as she shows off a trick to make spare ribs in an hour.
· 2 pounds baby back spare ribs, cut into 3-4 rib sections
· sea salt
· black pepper
· granulated garlic
Sweet and Sour Sauce
· 1 cup pineapple juice, unsweetened
· 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
· ½ cup date syrup or maple syrup
· ½ cup crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
· ½ teaspoon sea salt
· 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
1. Season spare ribs with salt, pepper and garlic.
2. Pour 1 cup water into Instant Pot. Place trivet in pot and stack spareribs on trivet.
3. Seal Instant Pot, select “Steam” function and cook under high pressure for 25 minutes.
4. Naturally release pressure for 15 minutes; quick release remaining pressure.
5. While spare ribs are cooking, prepare Sweet and Sour Sauce. Put pineapple juice, vinegar, date syrup, crushed tomatoes and salt in saucepan. Cook on medium heat until boiling, using a whisk to combine until smooth.
6. Stir arrowroot starch and water mixture and whisk into sauce. Cook a few minutes until thickened.
7. Remove cooked spareribs from Instant Pot and brush with Sweet and Sour Sauce.
8. Place ribs on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil 4-5 minutes until sauce browns slightly.