Chef's Quick Tips: Terrifying tortilla chips & brain guacamole
This week, Rachel Lampen and Kristen Mitrakis, owners of Rock Paper Scissors Custom Events, show Tina Redwine how to whip up some scary good Halloween party ideas.
Terrifying tortilla chips & brain guacamole
Brain Guacamole Ingredients:
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 6 thin slices red fruit roll-up
- 2 cups prepared guacamole
- Remove all leaves from the cauliflower and cut out the thick stem, creating a shallow depression and leaving the outer part of the head intact. Use toothpicks to hold cauliflower together if it starts to fall apart.
- Cut a ½” slice off the opposite side of cauliflower for stability. Put cut side down, then decorate the white ''brain'' by weaving thin strands of red roll-up between the florets to make veins and arteries. Fill center depression with the prepared guacamole. (If needed, you can place a lettuce leaf or tin foil in the scooped out area to keep the guacamole contained.)
Terrifying Tortilla Chips Ingredients:
- Corn tortillas
- Spray cooking oil
- Fine salt
- Bat shaped cookie cutters
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Stack 2 or 3 corn tortillas and cut out as many bat shapes as possible. Repeat until you have as many chips as you want.
- Place cutouts on a baking sheet in a single layer and spray with cooking oil and sprinkle salt over the chips.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Turn chip over, spray and salt the other side and bake 2-3 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Place on a serving tray with the Brain Guacamole, placing a few bats by the tip of a wing into the guacamole.
Rachel Lampen and Kristen Mitrakis, owners