AG Tong demands answers after East Haven child is badly burned while performing TikTok challenge

A child in East Haven was severely burned while attempting to imitate a TikTok experiment that involves igniting a bottle of alcohol, fire officials say.

News 12 Staff

Dec 29, 2021, 4:13 PM

Updated 897 days ago

Share:

A child in East Haven was severely burned while attempting to imitate a TikTok experiment that involves igniting a bottle of alcohol, fire officials say. 
The incident happened Tuesday night at an East Haven home. 
Fire officials say the child was burned while imitating the latest social media challenge called “The Whoosh Bottle Experiment” 
Officials say the experiment involves the use of alcohol and a bottle, which is ignited to create a “whoosh” noise. 
The child is being treated at the Bridgeport Hospital Burn Center after being transferred from Yale Children’s Hospital. 
Fire Chief Matt Marcarelli reminds the public that fire is not a toy. “This could easily have led to a fatality as well as a major fire in the house," said Marcarelli.
Attorney General William Tong weighed in on his Facebook page saying his office has reached out to TikTok demanding answers on why the “Whoosh Bottle Experiment” has not been removed from the platform. 
“We’ve been assured by TikTok leaders in the past that they have systems in place to remove this harmful content. A Connecticut child is now seriously injured because of the dangerous content on their platform,” said Tong.
Tong says his office expects to meet with TikTok leaders, Connecticut parents and educators early next year to urge them to “step up and do better to protect our children.” 


More from News 12