Gas leak in Thomaston prompts evacuation of 2 homes

Firefighters from Thomaston and surrounding areas responded to a gas leak Friday after a contractor hit a line while working on Maple Street.
The incident happened around 10 a.m.
Two homes were evacuated and people were asked to avoid the area.
Thomaston Fire Chief Jim O'Neil says the situation could have been much worse.
"This was serious, the gas was blowing out like a volcano, it was under high pressure," says O'Neil. "It was relatively under control. The biggest thing was waiting for Eversource to find the right shut off to everything. They responded very quickly and it went off really well."
The area is now reopened and Eversource is working on the line.