Gov. Lamont confirms COVID-19-related death of newborn
Gov. Ned Lamont announced Wednesday that a newborn child has died from COVID-19.
Lamont says a 6-week-old from the Hartford area died after being found unresponsive late last week.
Lamont says this is the first pediatric COVID-19 death in Connecticut. Testing confirmed that the death was related to the coronavirus Tuesday night.
In a tweet, the governor said, "This is a virus that attacks our most fragile without mercy. This also stresses the importance of staying home and limiting exposure to other people. Your life and the lives of others could literally depend on it. Our prayers are with the family at this difficult time."
The news comes as the governor announced 429 more confirmed COVID-19 cases and 16 additional fatalities. Lamont says the total number of positive cases stands at 3,557 and a total of 85 fatalities. Lamont says there are 766 people hospitalized and that more than 16,600 tests have been conducted statewide.
- Gov. Lamont says Connecticut is in desperate need of more protective gear for front-line responders and it should arrive by next week.
- Gov. Lamont says he will be able to announce soon a facility that will be able to test an additional 1,000 people a day.
- Gov. Lamont announced the state is in talks with the company that does the 15-minute tests and is urging the company to make Connecticut a priority.
- Gov. Lamont says Connecticut is in a stronger financial position than some other states and has enough cushion to weather the storm.
- Gov. Lamont urged that no one is safe and reminded young people that they are not invincible.