Man accused in Stamford hit-and-run that killed 2 makes 1st court appearance

Police say Michael Talbot was driving 86 mph, his alcohol level was more than double the legal limit, and he was under the influence of marijuana when he hit and killed the co-workers as they were crossing Washington Boulevard Dec. 3 in Stamford.

News 12 Staff

Jan 17, 2023, 10:16 PM

Updated 524 days ago

Share:

The man who police say is responsible for killing two pedestrians in Stamford last month before fleeing the scene made his first court appearance in Stamford Tuesday. Michael Talbot was brought back to Connecticut from Florida to face charges.
Florida authorities arrested Talbot in the beginning of January at a Catholic church in Marco Island while playing Bingo. Stamford police went down to Florida to get him.
The 24-year-old stood before the judge Tuesday with no emotion as he faced the charges for killing Giovani Vega Benis and Yuliana Arias Lozano.
Police say he was driving 86 mph, his alcohol level was more than double the legal limit, and he was under the influence of marijuana when he hit and killed the co-workers as they were crossing Washington Boulevard Dec. 3 in Stamford. Police say Talbot's Mercedes threw the victims 175 feet.
Talbot is charged with two counts of second-degree manslaughter, two counts of second degree manslaughter with a motor vehicle, evading responsibility and operating under the influence.
His attorney Eugene Zingaro told News 12 by phone he respectfully disagrees with the judge that his client was a flight risk. He told the court Tuesday that Talbot's mother, who lives in Florida, sent her son a plane ticket months ago to come see her.
The court raised Talbot's bond to $1.75 million. The attorney said it is up to the family whether he posts bond.
Talbot is due back in court on March 15.


More from News 12