Monroe firefighters responded to 7 calls within 24 hours

The Monroe Volunteer Fire Department says it responded to 7 calls within a 24-hour period.
One of the calls was for a fire inside an attached garage in Castlewood Estates Friday night.
Due to quick thinking by the homeowner and firefighters, the fire was contained and there was limited damage.
Residents were able to return to their home and no one was injured.
The department also responded to calls for smoke from an overloaded surge protector and smoke due to electric heater malfunction.
Firefighters remind people to dispose of ashes, embers and other hot items in water and in an enclosed metal can and allow it to cool outside at least 10 feet away from a home.
They also encourage people to check their smoke detectors.