More than $25,000 raised to help family pick up the pieces after their house burned down

People are reaching out to a family to help them get back on their feet after their house burned down.

News 12 Staff

Feb 5, 2021, 3:16 PM

Updated 1,234 days ago

Share:

People are reaching out to a Newtown family to help them get back on their feet after their house on Aspen Lane burned down.
Fire officials say the fire started on Friday in the chimney and left the house a total loss. Ari Gjonbalaj says he got a call from his mother-in-law that his house was on fire.
He says his neighbors helped his mother-in-law get out of the house, and luckily his kids were in school.
The family started a GoFundMe that has already raised over $25,000.
Gjonbalaj also says people have been donating clothes for his family at Roberto's Restaurant in Monroe, which is where he works.
He is from Kosovo and came to this country 25 years ago for a better life. Gjonbalaj has five children, and his first wife died.
He says family means everything to him and wants to thank all those who have helped him through this tragedy.
The family is currently staying at a hotel in Danbury. They say they're hoping once insurance helps them rebuild, they can return home soon.


More from News 12