Officials: Transformer exploded in Stella high rise building in New Rochelle
A transformer explosion was reported inside the Stella high rise building in New Rochelle on Saturday night.
Fire officials say they received the call around 9 p.m. Upon arrival, they found the explosion inside the basement of the building.
There was no visible damage to the building, and the fire was contained inside the utility room. However, there was thick smoke that spread inside and outside the building.
Fire officials say the smoke did contain carbon monoxide and traveled as far up as the 27th-floor penthouse.
Residents were able to gather in the lobby while firefighters worked. There were no injuries.