Secretary of the State Thomas calls for swift action in apparent Bridgeport ballot box probe
Secretary of the State Stephanie Thomas is asking for swift action after Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim’s opponent released video over the weekend of someone apparently stuffing an absentee ballot box, which is a violation of state election law.
That video appears to show a Ganim supporter dropping seven different stacks into an absentee ballot box right in front of the mayor's office in the early morning hours of Sept. 5.
Absentee ballots propelled Ganim to a 251-vote victory over fellow Democrat John Gomes last week. Gomes said he plans to file a lawsuit Tuesday asking for a new Democratic primary.
Thomas said only the State Elections Enforcement Commission, or SEEC, and the Bridgeport police can investigate this video. She urged them to move quickly.
"I urge SEEC to do everything in its power to move swiftly in its investigation. SEEC is required by law to complete the investigation in one year, but I think that is far too long for a claim of this magnitude. If they need additional resources to speed up this timeline. I urge the state to provide them," Thomas said.
In a statement Ganim responded, "I want to state unequivocally that I do not condone, in any way, actions taken by anyone including any campaign, city, or elected official, which undermines the integrity of either the electoral process or city property."
Gov. Ned Lamont called the video disturbing.
"The integrity of our electoral system is so important I got to make sure that people have confidence and I want to investigate it. And I want to investigate it soon," Lamont said.
Gomes' lawsuit will be filed Tuesday and SEEC's next meeting is on Wednesday where they may take up this issue.