STORM WATCH

Heat and high humidity today will be accompanied by possible strong to severe thunderstorms

Shelton mayor: Star Pin fire debris may contain asbestos

Debris from a large structure fire that broke out at a former factory building in Shelton may contain asbestos, the town's mayor says.

News 12 Staff

Jun 15, 2020, 10:36 AM

Updated 1,469 days ago

Share:

Debris from a large structure fire that broke out at a former factory building in Shelton may contain asbestos, the town's mayor says.
Part of Canal Street in Shelton still remains blocked off Monday morning as crews monitor hot spots.
Officials say asbestos was released into the air during the fire at the former Star Pin building Saturday around 7:30 p.m.
 
Officials are warning anyone who lives in the area, and who sees debris on their property that it could contain asbestos.
They say the former Star Pin building is 100 years old, and that it is expected to be demolished later today. 
Mayor Mark Lauretti issued a code red alert urging residents to not touch anything in their yard that looks out of the ordinary.
Officials say residents should call either the Shelton Police Department or Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to give their address.
They say state and contracted officials will pick up the debris over the next couple of days.
 


More from News 12