SPCA Animal Shelter in Monroe closing, adoptable dogs and cats need homes

If they don't find a forever home in time for them, volunteers fear they'll have no other option than to euthanize the animals.

News 12 Staff

Mar 2, 2023, 12:53 AM

Updated 454 days ago

Share:

The SPCA Animal Shelter in Monroe has announced it will be closing its doors soon and they are asking for help from the community to adopt the animals before it’s too late.
The SPCA Animal Shelter, located at 359 Spring Hill Road, says they have 20 dogs and 13 cats, 75% are adoptable. The other 25% are not adoptable due to health, age or behavioral issues. If they don't find a forever home in time for them, volunteers fear they'll have no other option than to euthanize the animals. 
The animal shelter says they are going into foreclosure and the location will be auctioned off on May 6. All animals will have to be gone from the property by that date.
Volunteers like Kate Compton have started to push for adoptions and have set up a GoFundMe to help pay for vet bills.
The shelter has been operating for more than 20 years and says the news of the foreclosure has been heartbreaking.
"A lot of tears were shed, but we're just trying to muddle through, and you know, work as hard as we can, and as many hours as we can in the next few months and weeks to get them into homes and find their forever families," said Compton.
There will be an open house at the shelter this Saturday from 12 p.m. until 3 p.m.


More from News 12
3:15
‘Will not be tolerated.’ Bridgeport mayor, police chief address 5 shootings over Memorial Day weekend

‘Will not be tolerated.’ Bridgeport mayor, police chief address 5 shootings over Memorial Day weekend

1:35
Early sunshine in Connecticut before rain arrives Wednesday evening

Early sunshine in Connecticut before rain arrives Wednesday evening

2:06
‘I could barely walk.’ New law extends sick days to nearly all CT workers

‘I could barely walk.’ New law extends sick days to nearly all CT workers

0:51
School bus camera legislation aims to protect Bridgeport students

School bus camera legislation aims to protect Bridgeport students

1:34
‘Seems like yesterday.’ Bridgeport couple celebrates 70 years of marriage

‘Seems like yesterday.’ Bridgeport couple celebrates 70 years of marriage

1:59
Bridgeport City Councilwoman Eneida Martínez takes on State Rep. Andre Baker in 124th District

Bridgeport City Councilwoman Eneida Martínez takes on State Rep. Andre Baker in 124th District

2:28
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month: Tammy Nguyen showcases her Easton studio

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month: Tammy Nguyen showcases her Easton studio

0:17
Norwalk police investigating early morning 2-car crash

Norwalk police investigating early morning 2-car crash

0:33
Speeding tickets, DUIs, and accidents keep state police busy on Memorial Day weekend

Speeding tickets, DUIs, and accidents keep state police busy on Memorial Day weekend

1:29
Sen. Chris Murphy begins annual ‘Walk Across Connecticut’

Sen. Chris Murphy begins annual ‘Walk Across Connecticut’

2:35
Made in Connecticut: Step back in time at The Clockery in Norwalk

Made in Connecticut: Step back in time at The Clockery in Norwalk

Is your dad awesome? Connecticut tell us why your dad rocks!

Is your dad awesome? Connecticut tell us why your dad rocks!

0:14
Bridgeport PD: 17-year-old hit by a car at Fairfield Avenue, Clinton Avenue intersection

Bridgeport PD: 17-year-old hit by a car at Fairfield Avenue, Clinton Avenue intersection

0:24
Wilton police: Incident in which girl appeared to be forced into vehicle was not an abduction

Wilton police: Incident in which girl appeared to be forced into vehicle was not an abduction

1:46
Norwalk, Westport communities honor fallen veterans on Memorial Day

Norwalk, Westport communities honor fallen veterans on Memorial Day

0:27
Stratford firefighters battle fire at the Army Engine Plant, no injuries reported

Stratford firefighters battle fire at the Army Engine Plant, no injuries reported

0:22
9-year-old girl saved from drowning in Danbury

9-year-old girl saved from drowning in Danbury

1:04
Blumenthal calls for Senate Judiciary Committee to summon Chief Justice

Blumenthal calls for Senate Judiciary Committee to summon Chief Justice

0:46
Bruce Springsteen postpones several European shows due to vocal issues

Bruce Springsteen postpones several European shows due to vocal issues

Police: Man shot in the head in Stamford

Police: Man shot in the head in Stamford