Stamford Fire Department offering free smoke detectors following fire on Leeds Street

Stamford firefighters went door to door offering free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors after a fire displaced two families on Tuesday. The fire started at 46 Leeds St. at around 6 a.m. None of the

News 12 Staff

Jun 26, 2014, 2:38 AM

Updated 3,652 days ago

Share:

Stamford firefighters went door to door offering free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors after a fire displaced two families on Tuesday.
The fire started at 46 Leeds St. at around 6 a.m. None of the eight residents were injured, but smoke and water damage have forced Rafael Marquiz and his family to find other homes.
The fire chief says there was only one smoke detector in the building, and it did little good because the fire started in the attic.
He says that if there would have been more smoke detectors throughout the home, the families might still be living there.
The money for the detectors comes from a foundation set up after the 2011 Christmas fire that killed three sisters and their grandparents.


More from News 12