Pop-up storms expected through early Monday in CT. Some storms could be strong or severe

'A light that shone bright': Family remembers woman following arrest of husband, mother-in-law

<p>A family is continuing to cope with the sudden loss of their loved one who died in Stamford last week.</p>

News 12 Staff

Dec 7, 2018, 10:24 PM

Updated 2,024 days ago


Services are being held this weekend in Stamford for a woman who died suddenly last week, as her family continues to cope with her loss.
The death of Iris Lopez, 36, is under investigation by police, and her husband and mother-in-law charged in connection to the case.
Her family says the mother of four had a "light that shone bright." But as most people begin to make plans for the holidays, her family is planning her funeral services.
"What did we go shopping for? Her funeral clothes, which was torture," says Lopez's mother, Norma Estrella.
Lopez was rushed to Stamford Hospital with a massive brain bleed and dozens of bruises all over her body. Police say her two family members are accused of withholding medical care to her by not calling 911.
As investigators continue to look into the case, they say her husband Hector Lopez has a history of domestic violence.
Lopez's mom and sister, Norma and Rosie Estrella, say they won't share what they believe happened to Lopez. What they will say is they are urging anyone with information about her death or relationship with her husband to talk to police.
"(Hector) wasn't a good person, I'll say that," says Rosie Estrella.
The mother and sister say they have leaned on each other and other members of their family to get through the pain that still does not feel real to them.
"My sister's at peace now, she's not hurting anymore," says Rosie Estrella. "I find comfort in that."
Services for Lopez are set for Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. at Bosak Funeral Home in Stamford.
"It's something that you just don't prepare for, that you can never be prepared for," says Norma Estrella.
"This shouldn't have happened," added Rosie Estrella.
Lopez's autopsy results are still pending.

More from News 12