HEAT ALERT

High temperatures and humidity continue; risk of thunderstorms Friday afternoon

Attorney for Michelle Troconis argues for trial to be moved to Hartford, evidence turned over

Michelle Troconis, who is charged in connection with Jennifer Dulos' murder, was back before a judge Tuesday with her attorney arguing to change the venue.

News 12 Staff

Nov 24, 2020, 11:22 PM

Updated 1,304 days ago

Share:

Michelle Troconis, who is charged in connection with Jennifer Dulos' murder, was back before a judge Tuesday with her attorney arguing to change the venue.
She appeared in court virtually for the first time and chose to keep her video off for nearly all of the hearing.
Troconis previously pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, evidence tampering and hindering prosecution in the disappearance of her former boyfriend's estranged wife, Jennifer Dulos.
Police believe Fotis Dulos killed Jennifer Dulos in the garage of her New Canaan home May 25, 2019.
Judge John Blawie heard from Troconis' attorney, Jon Schoenhorn, about his request to move the case from Stamford Superior Court to the Hartford Judicial District.
Police say Troconis was with Dulos when cameras caught him throwing out bloody evidence in Hartford, then attempting to get a truck cleaned of evidence in Avon.
"The jury must be chosen, the trial must occur, where the crime is alleged to have happened," says Schoenhorn.
The prosecution countered that Troconis' initial attorney didn't object to having the case in Stamford.
It only became an issue when Schoenhorn took over the defense since he's from Hartford.
"A conspirator to a crime can be tried either in the district where the conspiracy was or where any overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy was committed," says Assistant State's Attorney Dan Cummings, of the Stamford Judicial District.
Blawie didn't rule, saying his decision would likely depend on if he consolidates all of Troconis' charges.
The judge also listened to arguments on whether Schoenhorn should get access to a sealed custody study from the Dulos divorce case.
Blawie said he'll review the documents and see whether some or all of it should be released.
"The best interests of the children are also in the court's mind even though the rights of the accused to a fair trial and to due process are also in my mind," he says.
It's possible a decision on that and whether or not to join all of Troconis' cases could come at the next hearing on Jan. 25.
The defense also claimed the state has been withholding evidence.
The chief state's attorney told the judge much of what is being asked for will soon be made available.


More from News 12