Heat advisory in effect for Connecticut through this evening.

Details emerge on Tennessee standoff that ended with Bridgeport murder suspect's suicide

Pettway killed himself Thursday following a lengthy standoff, during which police said he took an infant hostage.

Marissa Alter

Jun 3, 2022, 9:26 PM

Updated 775 days ago


Bridgeport murder suspect Glenn Pettway wasn't alone when he barricaded himself inside a home in Jackson, Tennessee, while on the run, according to Jackson police. Pettway killed himself Thursday following a lengthy standoff, during which police said he took an infant hostage.
The incident ended the manhunt for Pettway, who was accused of killing his estranged girlfriend, Mita Dumeng, at her home on Knoll Place. Bridgeport police said the mother of four was shot several times in her bedroom early Saturday morning.
At the time, Pettway was free on a $1 million bond for a murder in 2018. More recently, he'd posted an additional $75,000 bond after incidents in January in which he allegedly texted Dumeng death threats and was charged with threatening and harassment.
Bridgeport police received a tip Wednesday that Pettway was hiding out at a home in western Tennessee. U.S. Marshals and Jackson police responded to 235 Crocker St. that evening. Before they could take Pettway into custody, they said he barricaded himself inside the house with the 9-month-old who lived there. The child's mother had come outside just before that happened. Police said a hostage negotiations team tried to convince Pettway to surrender, but multiple times he stepped outside the house holding the infant and pointing a gun at officers on the perimeter. After several hours, negotiators got Pettway to give up the child, who was then safely turned over to its mother.
Officials said intense negotiations continued into yesterday morning with police using non-lethal measures like shutting off the power and deploying gas. They eventually sent in a robot with a camera and located Pettway on the floor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Jackson Police Chief Thom Corley released a statement, saying, "Although Mr. Pettway's decision to take his own life prevented the intended outcome of his safe apprehension to face the charges against him, we are grateful for the collaborative efforts of all involved agencies seeking a peaceful and successful resolution."
Despite Pettway's suicide, Dumeng's murder case isn't over. Bridgeport police told News 12 they expect to make at least one additional arrest in connection to her death.

More from News 12