Easton volunteer firefighter charged in Fairfield fatal hit-and-run

A 22-year-old Easton volunteer firefighter has been charged in a fatal Fairfield hit-and-run, police say.

News 12 Staff

Jul 8, 2020, 3:24 AM

Updated 1,472 days ago


A 22-year-old Easton volunteer firefighter has been charged in a fatal Fairfield hit-and-run, police say.
Declan Kot was arrested as he arrived at police headquarters around 9 p.m. Wednesday.
Kot, who is a constable and volunteer firefighter in Easton, is facing a long list of charges in the death of Marileidy Morel Araujo, including misconduct with a motor vehicle and tampering with evidence, and evading responsibility in operating a motor vehicle resulting in death. 
The Easton Fire Department says Kot was immediately suspended following his arrest. The Easton first selectman has also confirmed he is suspended from his constable position.
Denise Fernandez, a family member of Morel Araujo, says Kot's actions are disturbing.
"It's s little sick that you're a first responder and you left somebody there to die, and you knew it,"
Morel Araujo, 32, of Pennsylvania, was killed on July Fourth while walking her fiancé's family dog in the area of 2000 Redding Road.
Fairfield police tweeted Tuesday evening saying the suspect's vehicle was identified as a white-colored Dodge Ram, and not a green-colored Jeep Wrangler as it was previously believed by witnesses at the scene.
Surveillance video was located from the area of Redding Road, along with several other locations throughout Fairfield and Easton, which identified the suspect's vehicle as a white Dodge Ram pick-up truck.
Police say through collaborative efforts of the department and the public, the vehicle and its operator were located and identified Tuesday night.
News 12 is told that Morel Araujo had recently helped her fiancé survive COVID-19 and was planning for a wedding and family.
Kot is due in court next Wednesday.
He was released on a $150,000 bond with the condition that he cannot operate a vehicle pending arraignment and permission from the court.
News 12 reached out to Kot's attorney's office for comment, but has not yet heard back.

More from News 12