Family fearful after murder suspect released

The family of a Bridgeport man who police say was killed by a hit-and-run driver one year ago is fearful after the suspect in the case has been released on bond. Janet Lopez and her family say they

News 12 Staff

Jul 25, 2015, 2:12 AM

Updated 3,247 days ago

Share:

The family of a Bridgeport man who police say was killed by a hit-and-run driver one year ago is fearful after the suspect in the case has been released on bond.
Janet Lopez and her family say they were horrified to learn 37-year-old Dennis Berrios has been released on a $350,000 bond.
Police say 21-year-old Tyron Tate was walking with several other people when the vehicle Berrios was driving struck and killed him on Noble Avenue.
Dennis Berrios' attorney, John Gulash, says the charge against his client was raised last week from manslaughter to murder.
"His charges were changed to murder. His bond should have been raised to a million dollars," Lopez says. "Why is he out on bond?
Berrios was originally charged with evading responsibility, but now police say the hit-and-run was murder. Gulash would not comment on the fears that Tate's family is feeling.
The judge has ordered Berrios to stay away from Tate's family and to have no contact with them. He is due back in court next month.


More from News 12