Fire causes evacuation of Stratford hotel guests

Guests at a Stratford Ramada Inn had an unpleasant wake-up call in the form of a fire Tuesday morning.
Officials say the fire began in a second-floor room of the Lordship Avenue hotel. The hotel?s alarm alerted occupants, who immediately evacuated the building. Hotel employees say they had some trouble getting several disabled guests from the third floor out of the building. However, everyone made it out safely.
According to fire officials, the fire began in the heating and air conditioning wall unit. It was contained to just one room on the second floor, but the smoke reached all the way up to the sixth floor. The hotel has opened a scuttle on the roof to ventilate the building. Guests were allowed back in Tuesday afternoon.