Dozens displaced after 2 Bridgeport apartment buildings damaged by fire
Dozens of people are displaced Thursday after a fire fueled by strong winds damaged two apartment buildings in Bridgeport.
Firefighters say the fire broke out Wednesday afternoon in the back of a building on Madison Avenue, then jumped an alley.
At one point, some of the balconies on the first building collapsed.
Residents who escaped were left shivering on the sidewalk, but no injuries have been reported.
The apartment buildings housed at least three dozen people. The landlord and the Mayor’s Office are working to help them get back on their feet.
It is not clear what sparked the fire.
Anyone wishing to help may bring gift cards to the front desk of Margaret Morton Government Center, 999 Board Street, Bridgeport before Friday by 3:00 p.m. The city is not accepting used clothing or other items currently.