Grand Concourse fire victims reach out for help
Victims of an Easter Sunday fire at a Grand Concourse building reached out to elected officials and government agencies for help Friday.
One person died and dozens were injured in the fire earlier this month at 1749 Grand Concourse. At Friday's meeting, residents said that although the flames are gone, the root problems remain. The fire alarm system that's been broken for years still hasn't been fixed, residents complained. In addition, the Health Department said the building has mold and lead paint violations. The building is also without gas due to the fire, and Con Edison doesn't expect service to return for at least another month.
An attorney encouraged tenants at the meeting to file a class action lawsuit against the building's owner in family court. Government and elected officials' representatives said they'd take the information back and see what changes they can make.