House fire in Monroe leaves residents homeless during holiday season

A devastating fire in Monroe Wednesday morning has left its residents homeless.

News 12 Staff

Dec 9, 2020, 10:57 PM

Updated 1,284 days ago

Share:

A devastating fire in Monroe Wednesday morning has left its residents homeless.
Multiple crews rushed to the scene of the fire at 138 Hattertown Road in Monroe after 10 a.m.
Heavy smoke and fire was coming from the second floor. Fire officials say the homeowner, who lives on the first floor and rents out the second floor, was home at the time.
The homeowner told News 12 he had gone outside to get some wood for the fire he built in his fireplace when he noticed smoke.
Officials say the homeowner was not hurt, but one firefighter was injured.
Fire officials are stressing the importance of cleaning your heating units and chimneys this winter.
They say the home is uninhabitable - meaning the owner and tenants need to find another place to stay.


More from News 12