Neighbors credit man's quick actions after fire sparked in condo

<p>Fire officials say the flames sparked in a kitchen on the first floor of a six-unit condo complex.</p>

News 12 Staff

Jan 21, 2018, 11:55 PM

Updated 2,309 days ago

Share:

Residents of a Norwalk condo complex are thankful for the quick efforts of one of their neighbors during a fire that broke out Sunday afternoon.
Fire officials say the flames sparked in a kitchen on the first floor of a six-unit condo complex on West Main and Summer streets.
Video shows smoke coming out of multiple windows of the building, as a woman and her child seek safety on the rear balcony.
Residents praised their neighbor, Hayden Callender, for his quick efforts to try and put out the flames. He says he grabbed a hallway fire extinguisher when he noticed smoke.
"I used it until it depleted, I knew there was a second one downstairs so I ran into the basement to get the second one. By the time I came back up there was just too much smoke so I figured best not to go back in," he says.
The owner of the unit tells News 12 she was only gone for 25 minutes to go to the pharmacy.
No injuries were reported.


More from News 12