HEAT ALERT

Extreme heat settles in Connecticut starting Tuesday

Neighbors return to Milford neighborhood following gas leak, evacuation

A Milford neighborhood was evacuated Wednesday due to a natural gas leak, officials say.

News 12 Staff

Aug 26, 2020, 1:31 PM

Updated 1,391 days ago

Share:

Neighbors returned to their Milford neighborhood Wednesday just a few hours after being evacuated due to a natural gas leak.
The gas leak happened on Broadway near Wildwood Avenue and Church Street before 9 a.m.
Officials say a construction crew working in the area accidentally ruptured the natural gas pipe and that 20 buildings in the area were evacuated.
Neighbors returned back to their homes shortly after the incident, and officials say Southern Connecticut Gas crews worked to repair the leaking pipe.
No injuries were reported.
Witnesses say they reported hearing the loud hissing sound of gas escaping the pipe blocks away.


More from News 12