Officials: Fire rips through Fairfield home, displaces family

A Fairfield family will be displaced from their home on Christmas after a fire early Monday morning.
Residents of Puritan Road tell News 12 that the fire happened around 8 a.m.
News 12 is told that one of the residents smelled smoke before the smoke detectors activated and had little time to safely escape. One of the residents from the second floor had to climb out of a window.
Officials say the family was lucky that a trellis on the back of the house allowed them to climb down.
The house has sustained severe damage. 
One firefighter suffered a burn to his face.
Officials tell News 12 that modern furniture and floorplans allow fires move with dangerous speed. One official recommends a smoke detector in every room as a precaution.
Neighbor Greg Keeley says the community has already gathered in support of the family, collecting coats, clothes and shoes to give to the homeowner.
Further details on the state of the home and the family’s plans for housing were not immediately available.