‘Our go-to guy.’ Norwalk Fire Department remembers dedicated deputy fire marshal who died from brain cancer

Luca Feola was the Norwalk Fire Department’s “go-to-guy,” according to Assistant Fire Marshal Kirk McDonald. “If something needed to get done, Luca was the guy to turn to,” McDonald told News 12.
Now, there’s a void in the department following Feola’s death last week from brain cancer, which has been classified as an occupational in the line of duty death. Feola was 47 years old.
“He was well-liked, well-respected. He served the city of Norwalk for almost 20 years,” said Mayor Harry Rilling.
Feola became a firefighter in 2004 after spending six years in the United States Marine Corps. He was promoted to the fire marshal's office in 2011, later earning the title of deputy fire marshal.
“He really enjoyed what he did—everything from fire investigation to public education. He liked dealing with kids, teaching kids about fire safety,” McDonald recalled, adding that Feola always did it with a positive outlook.
McDonald said Feola was first diagnosed over a decade ago with a brain tumor, which was successfully removed and found to be benign. It was during a regular checkup early this year that doctors determined he had brain cancer.
“I really anticipated that he was going to come through this and recuperate, recover just like the first time,” McDonald said.
Feola was born and raised in Norwalk so his ties to the community were extensive. He lived in Trumbull with his wife and two daughters, but of course the firehouse was his second home.
“We spent a lot of time with each other both on and off the job. Luca was not just a colleague and my most senior deputy fire marshal, but he was also a close friend,” McDonald explained.
“He's a member of their family. These guys have each other’s backs,” Rilling said. That family rallied around Feola with support. This time his tumor was inoperable. A GoFundMe effort over the summer raised money for treatment that insurance wouldn't cover. But Feola lost his fight Thursday.
“My deepest condolences to his family. A young man, 47, with children,” said Rilling.
“He loved his family, his kids. He would give you the shirt off his back without any hesitation, and he was just that kind of giving person,” McDonald told News 12. “Rest in peace, brother.”
Calling hours will be held Tuesday, Nov. 7, from 4-8 p.m. at Collins Funeral Home in Norwalk with the funeral Wednesday at St. Matthew Church in Norwalk at 10 a.m. Feola will be buried with military honors in Trumbull.