Extreme heat settles in Connecticut starting Tuesday

Stamford police detail Michael Talbot arrest in double fatal hit-and-run

Stamford police say they have charged Michael Talbot with multiple counts of manslaughter, driving under the influence and evading responsibility.

Mark Sudol

Jan 6, 2023, 12:15 PM

Updated 528 days ago


It has been just over a month since the double fatal hit-and-run in Stamford that outraged the community because no charges were filed. Now, police have made an arrest and have new details.
Maria Garrido reacted Friday to the arrest of 24-year-old Michael Talbot from Greenwich by authorities in Florida Thursday night.
"I really hope that he pays for what he did because he took away my kids' father," said Garrido.
Talbot is charged with killing Giovani Vega-Benis and Yuliana Arias-Lozano.
"It kind of frustrates me that he was in Florida while, you know, we're here crying and going to the cemetery," said Garrido.
Police say Talbot was traveling at a high rate of speed and his blood alcohol content was above the legal limit when he hit Benis and Lozano in the crosswalk last month on Washington Boulevard.
The community wondered why it took police so long to make this arrest after police talked to Talbot right after the crash happened.
Police say they were waiting on tests from the state crime lab, which can take up to 10 weeks.
"What we really were waiting for was the DNA profile to come back to prove conclusively that he was the driver of the car," said Stamford Police Sgt. Jeffrey Booth.
Talbot is charged with multiple counts of vehicular manslaughter and evading responsibility.
"Kudos to the team for being able to track him down so quickly," said Stamford Mayor Caroline Simmons.
Simmons was aware Talbot has a history of reckless driving.
"We needed to do that due diligence, and I want to commend the Stamford Police Department for not rushing, for not leaving any loose ends on this because the last thing we want is for the case to be thrown out on a technicality," said Simmons.
The warrant for Talbot's arrest was signed Wednesday, and that's when Stamford police got to work on tracking him down.
Maria Garrido hopes her 6-year-old twin boys will someday get some closure.
"I'm just wondering if we're really going to get the justice that they deserve," said Garrido.
Stamford police say it could be a couple of weeks before they're able to bring Talbot back to Connecticut. Until then he'll be in police custody and will be unable to post his $1 million bond until his court day in Stamford.
News 12 Connecticut reached out to Talbot's attorney. He has no comment.

More from News 12