Stamford woman pleads not guilty in fatal November crash

A Stamford woman who is charged in a pedestrian’s death pleaded not guilty at her first court appearance Friday.
Courtney Sabia, is charged with negligent homicide with a motor vehicle for the November incident. The 24-year-old appeared in court alongside her attorney, Philip Russell.
Police say Sabia allegedly hit 60-year-old Nancy Flores of Stratford who was crossing Washington Boulevard at Tresser Boulevard on Nov. 16.
Police say she was walking to the train station to head home for the night after working her shift at a nearby Target when she was killed.
Newly released court documents show Flores crossed the street against the walk signal. They say she was in the crosswalk until she got to the opposite side of the road when she left it because the sidewalk was closed.
The investigation, however, also found that Sabia was allegedly speeding at the time, going more than 40 mph where the speed limit is 30. Officers concluded "it is apparent that if Sabia had been driving the speed limit, the collision would not have occurred."
Sabia stopped and cooperated with police throughout the investigation. Her attorney says he did not expect her to be charged.
“It's too early to make any comments on the evidence in the case because there are conflicting statements within the investigation, and there's a volume of material that we just received today that we have to go through. Obviously, we're conducting our own investigation as well,” Russell said.
Flores' family was in court but did not want to speak on camera. They hired an attorney, who also declined to comment on the case.
Flores' obituary described her as "a resilient, hard working woman" who worked two jobs so she could provide for her family. 
Sabia is due back in court March 30.