Stratford firefighters respond to back to back fires Saturday; one family displaced

The first fire happened on Freeman Avenue at 12:52 p.m. While firefighters were putting out that fire, a porch fire was reported on Honeyspot Road.

Rose Shannon

Apr 28, 2024, 4:44 PM

Updated 25 days ago

Share:

Stratford firefighters responded to two consecutive fires Saturday afternoon.
The first fire happened on Freeman Avenue at 12:52 p.m.
Upon their arrival, firefighters saw heavy fire coming from the backyard and the majority of the home on fire.
Officials say several exposed propane tanks released propane, creating a fire that spread to a fence and started a small bush fire.
Due to it's volume, it took 45 minutes for all on-duty Stratford firefighters to extinguish the fire.
A family of four was displaced.
The Red Cross was called to assist the family.
While firefighters were putting out that fire, a porch fire was reported on Honeyspot Road.
Bridgeport and Shelton firefighters were redirected from Freeman Avenue.
Officials say residents used a portable fire extinguisher to contain the fire to the porch.
Firefighters fully extinguished the fire to prevent the fire from spreading to the rest of the home.
No one was injured.
Both fires are under investigation.
As a result of the fire, the Stratford Fire Department want to remind residents of the following:
  • Ensure you have working smoke detectors; Stratford residents are encouraged to call 203-385-4073 to schedule a free smoke detector survey.
  • Create a plan for exiting with all who live in your home.
  • Do not drive over a fire hose in the street because it's not only dangerous to firefighters but can damage the home and vehicle.


More from News 12