'This was a remarkable recovery': I-95 officially operating at full capacity

Both sides of I-95 are back up and running Monday after a fire shut down the roadway late last week.

Rob Taub and Sandrina Rodrigues

May 6, 2024, 10:12 AM

Updated 11 days ago

Share:

Both sides of I-95 are back up and running Monday after a fire shut down the roadway late last week.
State police say a Chevy Camaro was entering I-95 south from Route 7 when it hit the front of a fuel truck that was in the right lane. That collision caused the fuel truck to veer into the center lane and hit a tractor-trailer.
After the collision, state police say the fuel truck burst into flames under the overpass and the other two vehicles caught on fire as well. The heat from the fire damaged the bridge making it structurally unsound.
Connecticut State Department of Transportation workers took down the Fairfield Avenue bridge starting Friday.
"This was a remarkable recovery. As you can see behind me this is a real team effort. A lot of people had part in this to get it done so quickly," said Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling Monday morning.
Northbound lanes fully reopened at 8 p.m. Saturday, ahead of schedule.
Southbound lanes reopened Sunday at 10 a.m.
"This was three days ago. And look, they got that bridge down on a timely basis. They got northbound going. Then they got southbound in time for church. This was an amazing work of art," said Gov. Ned Lamont.
Officials say the price tag on this project with cleanup and rebuild is $20 million. Sen. Richard Blumenthal says the federal government ought to bear the major part of the expenses.


More from News 12