News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files

Synagogue says man who knocked over menorah had visited the day before

The menorah was built by a Holocaust survivor 13 years ago.

Rose Shannon

and

Justin DeVellis

Jan 2, 2026, 6:16 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

News 12 has learned more information about the man suspected of destroying a large menorah outside of a Bridgeport synagogue last week.

Congregation B'Nai Israel president Rich Walden says a man who is not a member of the congregation asked to meet with a rabbi on Dec. 23. However, the rabbi was not at the synagogue at that time

Walden claims the man, who was caught on camera, knocked over the menorah early Christmas Eve morning.

The menorah was built by a Holocaust survivor 13 years ago.

"Certainly there's anger and hate involved when somebody does any kind of physical damage to property. What the person's intent was, I don't know. I don't know if it was antisemitic in nature or simply an angry man who didn't get what he wanted when he came by. Either way, the impact is that something that was important to us, something that was part of our traditions here, has been destroyed," Walden says.

Walden says the outpouring of community support the synagogue has received since the incident has been heartwarming.

More Stories

More From News12

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices