5-year-old accidentally screws steel nut onto finger

A 5-year-old boy accidentally screwed a steel nut onto his finger and needed the assistance of the Stamford Fire Department to get it off. Officials say the boy accidentally screwed a 3/8 steel nut

News 12 Staff

Nov 22, 2016, 3:47 AM

Updated 2,735 days ago

Share:

5-year-old accidentally screws steel nut onto finger
A 5-year-old boy accidentally screwed a steel nut onto his finger and needed the assistance of the Stamford Fire Department to get it off.
Officials say the boy accidentally screwed a 3/8 steel nut onto his index finger and past his knuckle with a power tool. 
Officials say the boy was in serious pain and had to be taken to Stamford Hospital Sunday afternoon. 
Stamford Fire Department Deputy Chief Eric Lorenz says doctors at Stamford Hospital tried to remove the screw, but swelling became such an issue that they called on the fire department for help.
"When the adults looked at it and they saw how far the child had gotten the nut up above the knuckle, they knew it was pretty serious," he says.
Lorenz says Stamford firefighters responded and were able to cut the nut using a guard to protect the child's finger. They then pried the nut apart to remove it.
He says the boy has been released from the hospital.


More from News 12