Chef's Quick Tip: Instant Pot Roast
(Paleo, Whole 30 adaptable, gluten-free)
• 3 pound chuck roast
• sea salt
• black pepper
• granulated garlic
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 3 carrots, cut up
• 2 celery stalks, cut up
• 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 cup red wine or beef broth
• 3 cups beef broth
• 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch or cornstarch, mixed with 6 tablespoons cold water
• fresh parsley or chives, finely chopped, for garnish
1. Season chuck roast generously with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
2. Heat olive oil in Instant Pot using "Saute" function. Sear chuck roast on both sides until nicely browned. Remove chuck roast to plate.
3. Add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and garlic to Instant Pot and sauté 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and toss to coat vegetables; cook 2-3 minutes until caramelized, stirring several times.
4. Add red wine, broth, thyme, and bay leaf to pot and stir well. Return chuck roast to pot.
5. Seal Instant Pot and let cook under high pressure for 1 hour.
6. Naturally release pressure.
7. Remove roast from pot.
8. Set Instant Pot on "Saute" function. Heat sauce until boiling.
9. Stir arrowroot starch and water and add to sauce in pot. Stir a few minutes until thickened.
• You can refrigerate the roast and sauce separately overnight. This will make it easier to remove any excess fat in the sauce and cut off any extra fat on the roast. This will also make it easier to slice the roast for serving. To reheat, gently rewarm pot roast in sauce.
• Use beef broth instead of red wine for Whole 30.
• Serve over cauliflower "mashed potatoes" for Paleo, Whole 30 meal).