Norwalk mayor will not roll back to Phase 2 despite city's COVID-19 spike

The city has recently been labeled as a red zone for the virus, which means there are more than 15 cases per 100,000 residents.

News 12 Staff

Oct 24, 2020, 2:20 AM

Updated 1,330 days ago

Share:

Norwalk Mayor Harry Rilling says the city will not roll back to Phase Two despite a spike in COVID-19 cases.
The city has recently been labeled as a red zone for the virus, which means there are more than 15 cases per 100,000 residents.
Gov. Ned Lamont signed an executive order that allows mayors in red zones to revert to Phase Two and reduce capacity at indoor businesses.
However, Rilling says he is going to hold off going from 75% to 50% percent indoor capacity at businesses for a few more days to see if they can get the spike under control.
He also says contact tracing has shown most of the spread is related to small family gatherings and students getting together outside of school.
There will be free testing with no prescription required at Stepping Stones Museum Saturday and Sunday.
Rilling says speaking with contact tracers will also help the city identify potential hot zones in the city.
The mayor is in quarantine after his grandkids tested positive for COVID-19. So far, he has had two negative tests.


More from News 12