Fairfield startup company works on new technology that deactivates ingested button batteries

A Fairfield startup company is working on a solution to prevent accidents in which young children swallow button batteries.
Landsdowne Labs is developing ChildLok, a technology that will deactivate the battery once swallowed to prevent burns.
The company CEO says at least 3,500 button battery ingestion injuries happen in the U.S. each year.
Trista Hamsmith, whose 18-month-old Reese Hamsmith died after swallowing one, says she supports this new technology.
"What I can tell you as a parent that has lost a child, paying an extra dime for a safer battery is a no-brainer. Reese's Purpose supports a safer battery and looks forward to seeing it available to consumers as an integral part of the solution," she says.
Reese's Law, which is named after Hamsmith's baby, was signed into law by President Joe Biden in August. It requires safer standards for the packaging of small batteries found in everyday items.