Greenwich man accused of killing two people offered plea deal

Michael Talbot was presented with two different offers from the prosecution in court Tuesday.

Mark Sudol

Aug 22, 2023, 9:33 PM

Updated 334 days ago

Share:

A Greenwich man charged with killing two pedestrians in Stamford has been offered a reduced sentence.
Attorneys say Michael Talbot found out about the plea deal Tuesday.
"I have relayed the offer to my client," said Talbot's attorney, Gene Zingaro.
Talbot was presented with two different offers from the prosecution in court Tuesday.
Assistant State's Attorney Elizabeth Moran says Talbot would plead guilty to two counts of first-degree manslaughter.
In the first offer, Talbot would face a 20-year sentence suspended after he serves 12 to 15 years with 5 years’ probation.
In the other offer, Talbot would face a 20-year sentence suspended after he serves 13 ½ years with 5 years’ probation.
Police say Talbot was driving nearly 90 mph in a 25 mph zone when he allegedly struck and killed Yuliana Arias Lozano and Giovanni Vega Benis on Washington Boulevard in Stamford on dec. 3.
Police say Talbot tried to drive away from the accident, but when he couldn't, he ran.
The arrest warrant shows he told police he had been out drinking at several locations before the accident.
Zingaro says he needs more time to discuss this latest deal for his client, but he may reject it. The victims' families turned out in large numbers Tuesday. They are demanding more prison time for Talbot, who is being held on a $1.75 million bond.
The prosecution is also asking for voluntary suspension of Talbot's driver’s license. The case will be back in court on Sept. 21. Talbot had been extradited as a fugitive from justice from Florida.
Attorneys on both sides declined comment Tuesday.


More from News 12