Greenwich man's charges upgraded in Stamford fatal hit-and-run, dispute after court

Prosecutors upped Michael Talbot's charges from two counts of second-degree manslaughter to two counts of first-degree manslaughter.

Mark Sudol

Apr 25, 2023, 9:41 PM

Updated 399 days ago


A Greenwich man charged with killing two people in Stamford in a hit-and-run faced a judge again Tuesday.
His charges have now been upgraded, but even more unfolded after court.
State marshals started running toward the parking garage outside Stamford Superior court Tuesday.
Defense attorney Gene Zingaro tells marshals he was met by the families of the victims that his client is charged with killing.
He would only say there was yelling.
Inside court, Zingaro's client, Michael Talbot, sat quietly from a remote location as prosecutors upped his charges from two counts of second-degree manslaughter to two counts of first-degree manslaughter.
Talbot is charged with hitting and killing Yuliana Arias Lozano and Giovani Vega Benis when they were crossing Washington Boulevard on Dec. 3 on their way back home from work.
"These were two beautiful souls whose lives were taken much too early," said Yuliana Arias Lozano's family attorney Alex Martinez.
Police say Talbot tried to drive away after the accident.
But when he couldn't, he ran.
The arrest warrant shows he told police he had been out drinking at several locations before the accident.
Yuliana Arias Lozano's brother and father are from Colombia and have been staying in Stamford.
They spoke with News 12 Connecticut today after court.
"I feel confident in the process so far and I believe in the justice system and I'm confident that justice will prevail," said Yuliana Arias Lozano's brother, Nicholas Arias.
"I wish Mr. Talbot had been here physically to see us. We've come from very far," said Yuliana Arias Lozano's father Mauricio Arias Matamoros.
Talbot's bond remains at $1.75 million.
First-degree manslaughter carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison.
That's double the maximum sentence for second degree manslaughter.
Talbot is due back in court June 20.

More from News 12