'Heartbreaking.' Easton police search for answers after finding 2 people dead in partially submerged SUV

Easton police continue to try to piece together when, how and why two people wound up dead inside a partially submerged Jeep. It happened in a pond in front of Christ Church on Stepney Road near the intersection with Church Road. First responders rushed there around 6:30 a.m. Sunday.
"It's pretty heartbreaking," said Capt. John Arnold.
Arnold told News 12 police are still trying to narrow down the time frame of the crash. They know it was sometime between Saturday night and early Sunday morning, but the area doesn't have streetlights and can get pretty foggy, according to Arnold. He said no one saw the SUV in the pond until the sun came up and the fog lifted.
"We had folks who were driving by who were the initial 911 callers who literally took ladders off of their own vehicles and put the ladders out to the pond in an attempt to rescue the folks," Arnold explained.
But the two people inside were already dead. Police identified them as Jesus Roman III, 35, of Easton, and Amy Rockwell, 45, of Newtown. Arnold said Roman was driving with Rockwell in the front passenger seat. The preliminary investigation determined they were coming from Monroe, driving south on Stepney Road.
"The road is straight for probably a good three-quarters of a mile," Arnold explained, adding that it curves just before the church. He said the Jeep stayed straight and hit a culvert on the side of the road.
"We believe they went airborne for a short distance and then landed in the pond," he told News 12. "There were no skid marks, no brakes applied."
Arnold said the Fairfield Police Crash Reconstruction Team was called in to help while the Trumbull Police Dive Team scoured the bottom of the pond for any potential evidence. Investigators determined there was no foul play or signs of another car or person being involved, Arnold said.
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner said the victims' causes of death are still pending further investigation.
A GoFundMe campaign for Roman's family described his passion for classic cars, his creativity and his commitment to family. "His creative spirit shone through as he embarked on countless adventurous projects and built anything he could dream up. His enthusiasm and joy were infectious, and his smile could brighten even the darkest days," it said.
Rockwell's obituary remembered her generous spirit, her support of others and her inner strength. "Amy worked hard to support her family and to achieve her dream job at Yale New Haven Health Maternal Fetal Medicine Center, where she helped many," it said.
Arnold pledged a thorough investigation. "We want to give these families closure, so we don't want to do a halfway investigation or release information too early. We want to give them the full story," he said.
The investigation is expected to take several weeks, according to Arnold. Police are looking to speak with anyone who might have seen something or has cameras in the area that could've captured the Jeep.