I-95 in Norwalk closed until at least Monday following tractor-trailer fire

A truck fire on I-95 south between exits 15 and 14 in Norwalk shut down the interstate for most of Thursday.


Connecticut's Interstate 95 northbound Exit 14 and southbound Exit 15 in Norwalk will remain closed at least through Monday, Gov. Ned Lamont said Thursday.
Norwalk city officials raced to clean debris in order to demolish the I-95 Fairfield Avenue overpass to get traffic flowing.
I-95 North is closed at Exit 14. Officials diverted traffic off of Exit 14 for drivers to re-enter I-95 at Exit 15 North.
Drivers going southbound were diverted off Exit 15, onto West Avenue, and told to get back on I-95 at Exit 14 South.
Norwalk police said the following roads have been closed to help detour traffic throughout the city:
Fairfield Avenue is closed from Cedar Street to Connecticut Avenue.
Cedar Street is closed eastbound from Connecticut Avenue to Fairfield Avenue and is closed in both directions from Fairfield Avenue to Reed Street.
Stuart Avenue is closed southbound from Connecticut Avenue to Reed Street.
News 12's Tom Krosnowski’s earlier coverage:
A truck fire on I-95 south between exits 15 and 14 in Norwalk shut down the interstate for most of Thursday.
State police say it happened around 5:30 a.m.
The large fire involved a petroleum tractor-trailer, a tanker and a car. The tanker truck was carrying 8,500 gallons of petroleum, fire officials say.
There were no fatalities in the incident, officials say.
A firefighter sustained a leg injury and was taken to Norwalk Hospital.
Norwalk fire officials said the flames that came from the petroleum tanker, the tractor-trailer, the car and the power lines were put out in about an hour.
"We had every engine in the city here. As soon as they came we got foam flowing. The fire went out quickly. It just took a while to get foam on the fire," says Deputy Chief Stephen Shay.
Extensive damage was caused to the Fairfield Avenue overpass bridge.
News 12's Tom Krosnowski’s earlier coverage:
"Anyone traveling through this area should find alternate routes," Lamont said on X, formerly known as Twitter.
Traffic was detoured off of I-95 and on to Connecticut Avenue.
News 12's Tom Krosnowski’s earlier coverage:
Residents who live near the Fairfield Avenue overpass told News 12 they felt and heard the impacts of the accident.
"My whole building shook. I was like, 'What's going on?' It shook like three times. I looked out the window, and all I saw was flames. I heard these little pops and that's when we knew something was bad," says Lawrence Taylor.
Taylor says he was also concerned by the pungent diesel odor that wafted over the area.
"Oh, it's terrible. This smell, it's got to be hazardous. My wife and I, we've got the windows closed, so we're pretty good. I think everyone should stay inside for now," he says.
News 12's Tom Krosnowski’s earlier coverage:
Several people News 12 spoke with said the accident impacted their commutes and normal traffic routines.
"I saw the highway was closed, left early and it still took an hour and a half to get here from Stratford. Oh, this is bad. There's no way to get around. All the roads are blocked off and nobody cares," says Jerry Millbauer.
"There's no way around I-95 easily. There's the Merritt Parkway, but for the tractor trailers, they've got to go through the side streets," said Deputy Chief Shay.
News 12's Tom Krosnowski’s earlier coverage:
Stamford Public Schools announced a 2-hour delay on Friday due to impact of I-95 closures.
Norwalk Public Schools announced they will be closed Friday.
Norwalk Public Schools said the closure caused major delays for school bus service on Thursday. The district proceeded with a normal dismissal process on Thursday afternoon and released their students at regular times.
Fairfield Public Schools were also impacted due to the fire activity on Thursday morning.

More from News 12