Michael Talbot rejects prosecutors’ plea deals in Stamford hit-and-run case; judge extends new offer

There’s a new plea deal for Michael Talbot to consider after Talbot rejected the two offers state prosecutors made at his last hearing. Talbot, 25, of Greenwich, is accused of killing two people in a hit-and-run crash in downtown Stamford last year.
Under the latest offer, Talbot would plead guilty to two counts of first-degree manslaughter, along with evading responsibility for an accident resulting in death and driving under the influence. He’d face a 20-year prison sentence suspended after he serves between 10 and 15 years, followed by five years of probation.
At a hearing in Stamford Superior Court Thursday, Assistant State’s Attorney Elizabeth Moran said the offer came from Judge Gary White, whom both sides met with that morning. It came following Talbot’s decision not to accept the state’s deals. One of the previous offers called for a 20-year prison sentence suspended after Talbot served between 12 and 15 years with five years of probation. The alternative was a 20-year prison sentence suspended after he served 13 1/2 years with five years of probation.
Stamford police said Talbot was drunk and speeding when he slammed into Yuliana Arias Lozano and Giovanni Vega Benis, both 25, as they crossed Washington Boulevard at Main Street on Dec. 3 around 2 a.m. The victims were walking home from work at the nearby Cantina Mexicana at the time and died at the scene.
Talbot will have until his next hearing, Dec. 1, to consider the judge’s offer.
The victims' family members have objected to the offers. They believe Talbot deserves more time in prison than what’s been proposed.
Talbot faces up to 20 years in prison after prosecutors upgraded his charges from two counts of second-degree manslaughter to two counts of first-degree manslaughter in April.